School Improvement & Innovation Plan
Outcome goals for the 2020-21 academic school year
School Improvement & Innovation Plan At A Glance
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology | Fairfax County Public Schools | Region 2
Goal 1 - Student Achievement
In our school setting, 61% of students will report they are fully or purposefully engaged in school as of June 1, 2021.
- Focus on high-quality Tier 1 instruction
- Collaborative Colleague virtual visits
- Collaborative Colleague Visits
Goal 2 - Student Success
In a classroom setting, students will demonstrate a greater ability to self-advocate with teachers as evidenced by a 10% increase as of June 1, 2021.
- Student Advocacy Guidelines. POG: Goal-directed and Resilient Individual
- Staff and various stakeholders, including Student Services faculty and staff in Student Wellness Resources, Academic Counseling and College Counseling, will collaborate with students to develop effective advocacy and positive self-management skills. POG: Goal-directed and Resilient Individual.
Goal 3 - Caring Culture
In our school setting, as of June 1, 2020, 85% of students will be able to identify at least one adult they feel they can go to if they need help with a personal problem.
- All TJHSST staff individually or in teams will select one Challenge Success area of focus (Managing Expectations, Healthy Sleep Habits/Education, addressing Rigor/Workload).
- Use consistent language across stakeholder groups to promote continuity in messaging and engage stakeholders in the process.
Goal 4 - Caring Culture
By June 2021, 100% of teachers will lead lessons in understanding identity and equity during their classes, aligned with principles of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy and Social and Emotional Learning. Additional metrics for measurement will be developed and administered to students by October 23. This will inform our plans on how to demonstrate how our school community values diversity and support an inclusive environment.
- Staff will participate in at least three professional development sessions related to Goal 4.
- Staff will provide opportunities through classes for to hold meaningful discussions on issues of Equity.