Virtual Learning Attendance Policy
Tuesday - Friday Virtual School Days
Students are expected to attend every class and activity scheduled for virtual class periods. Students should log in by the start of each virtual class period Tuesday – Friday and stay logged in through the class period unless the teacher has informed them that the class will be asynchronous that period.
Monday Asynchronous Days
Students complete the Google form at the link provided by their Homeroom teacher for Monday’s attendance.
Parents/Guardians should report absences, late arrivals and early departures to the Attendance Office by:
- email to ThomasJeffersonHigh.Attendance@fcps.edu or by
- message left on the Attendance Message Line at 703-750-8315.
Please include in email/message:
- student name
- date and time of absence
- reason for absence. Please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today. Indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise)
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Prearranged absences may be requested using the FCPS Prearranged Absence Form and forwarding to the Attendance Office emailed teacher responses to student email informing them of the planned absence dates. The Attendance Office will obtain the administrator’s signature on the form.
In-person Attendance Policy
Students are expected to attend every class and activity scheduled for that school day. Students should be in their seats at the start of each class period. Late arrivals and early departures must sign in/out in the main office.
Parents must send an email to ThomasJeffersonHigh.Attendance@fcps.edu or leave a message on the attendance message line at 703-750-8315 or send a note for any absence no later than two days following the student’s return to school.
Emails, phone messages, or notes for absences, late arrivals, or early departures should include the following:
- student’s name
- dates and time of the absence
- reason for the absence
- parent signature
Legitimate reasons for excused absences include: student illness, death in the family, doctor or dental appointment, or observance of religious holiday. Examples of unexcused absence reasons include: family and/or student trip, nonschool-related activities, missed school bus, oversleeping, or traffic.
Students arriving late must report to the main office. An excused tardy pass will be given if the student has a note or the parent has called and the reason for tardiness is excused under FCPS policy. Students are responsible for any work missed.
Students should bring a parent note to the main office in the morning with the date, time and reason for leaving school. Parents may call the attendance line with the date, time and reason but the student must come to the main office to receive a pass to leave class and to sign out. Students who leave without checking out will be marked unexcused. Parents may come to the office to sign a student out but students are not paged during the school day or the classroom called. Students are responsible for missed work.
Prearranged absences may be requested three weeks before the absence. Please turn in the required parent note and Request for Prearranged Absence form with TOP PART ONLY COMPLETED (student name, ID, grade, parent printed name, school name, absence dates, brief reason and parent signature) but without teacher signatures and turn it in to the attendance office at least four days before the absence. The parent note must be attached to the form or the form will be returned to the parent for proper completion. After the administrator has signed, student will take form to teachers for signature and for brief description of make-up work, tests or projects. Student then turns form back in to the attendance office.