College and Career Center Newsletter
Spring Edition 2021
April Spotlight: Music and Memories
It's Spring, the fourth quarter of this unique school year, and Homecoming Week! We've enjoyed the flurry of activity with in person and virtual students as they create new memories and redesign Homecoming to fit this moment in time. A wonderful TJ orchestra quintet performed for us today in the Nobel Commons and the music filled the halls here and through the speakers to those online!
Naviance Student college search has now been updated with links to Virtual Tours to many colleges. We encourage students to visit a virtual tour/admissions session of a college in which they are interested and then choose a college to virtual tour they may not know at all. Record what they like, what they find interesting, but also record what they don't like to help determine what they are looking for in a college with regard to size, academics, clubs, financial feasibility, and other factors that are important to them.
At a recent College Guidance Network event, author Jon McGee encouraged students starting their college search to write down their continuations to these four prompts:
Then have the student ask themselves "How does this college/university FIT me?" The journey of the college search is one of exploration and self discovery. Enjoy the journey and remember to take time and listen to the music along the way.
Current books we are reading in the CCC:
The Price You Pay for College by Ron Lieber
Dear Parents: A Field Guide for College Preparation by Jon McGee
Introducing The Virtual Career Exploration Fair
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) and Arlington Public Schools (APS) are teaming up to host a Virtual Career Exploration Fair on Monday, April 19, 2021 - Friday, April 30, 2021. High school students will be able to connect with over 100 local industry professionals from in-demand career fields. Additionally, students can attend college and career ready workshops and information sessions.
High school students can take part in the following ways:
- Learn about work-based learning (WBL) opportunities.
- Attend industry panel discussions.
- Take part in mock interviews.
- Attend resume workshops.
- Learn about postsecondary education, training, and apprenticeship opportunities.
Register for the Virtual Career Exploration Fair now!
* Please note: CVENT requires users accessing its platform to be age 16 or older. Parents of students in FCPS who are under 16 who are interested in participating in these events can email Matt Bechtel for more information about registration.
A CrowdCompass login will be created using the information you provide in the registration form above. You will receive your login as an email to the personal email account you included. Please check your personal email account (including the Spam or Junk folder) for your login.
The FCPS curated list can be found in Naviance Student. Step-by-step directions for finding enrichment opportunities in Naviance Student.
Commonwealth Cyber Initiative NoVa Node Internship Experience | Deadline April 18, 2021
STEM Camps at Rose-Hulman | Apply by April 25, 2021 for June and July camp dates
The Journal of Emerging Investigators team at Harvard will be conducting a virtual Mini-PhD program for 8th to 10th graders | Application deadline is May 1, 2021. More information here.
JMU Summer Honors Institute | Apply by May 14, 2021 for July dates
High School Summer Academy in Architecture | Deadline June 15, 2021
Data Science for High School Students (DS4HS) with company UnitedWithCode | see Naviance Student for contact details and interest GoogleForm | Summer 2021
EF Gap Year Programs | Register for their webinars here.
FCPS STUDENT GOOGLE SITES (Google Workspace student login required)
📌Service Learning and x2VOL information
Volunteer Fairfax has a wealth of information about Service Learning opportunities that families can do together.
📌Work Based Learning and Career Exploration
📌Class of 2022 Post Secondary Planning
The FCPS curated list can be found in Naviance Student. Below are some recent updates:
- FCPS Laura Ashley Piper Scholarship 2021 | Application due to CCC by May 14, 2021 | see Naviance Student for application and eligibility details.
- FCPS Vulcan Materials Foundation Scholarship | Application due to CCC by May 3, 2021 | see Naviance Student for application and eligibility details.
- FCPS Emily and Fred Ruffing ACCA Scholarship | Application due to CCC by May 22, 2021 | see Naviance Student for application and eligibility details.
- The Equinix Digital Infrastructure Scholarship opened March 24th and is specifically for graduating high school seniors interested in entering the NOVA Engineering Technology program. Equinix will support five students to come to NOVA with scholarships of $5,000 each. Deadline is April 30, 2021. Questions may be directed to NOVA Scholarship Coordinator, Darryl Shell at @email.
- Generation Hope – deadline extended April 19, 2021
- Fairfax County Council PTA Scholarship – deadline April 25, 2021
- Peter Williams Memorial Scholarship – deadline extended April 30, 2021
- Alpha Kappa Alpha – LKO Chapter – Alma Palmer Grant – deadline May 1, 2021
- Alpha Kappa Alpha – LKO Chapter – Estelle Gaymon Memorial Scholarship – deadline May 1, 2021
- Alpha Kappa Alpha – LKO Chapter – HBCU Scholarship – deadline May 1, 2021
- Alpha Kappa Alpha – LKO Chapter – STEM Scholarship – deadline May 1, 2021
- Debra Deneise Smith Foundation Scholarship – deadline May 1, 2021
- Kozy Kerchief and Kozy Kap Scholarship – deadline May 1, 2021
- National Naval Officers Assn. Washington (DCNNOA) DC Chapter – deadline May 1, 2021
- Elmer Timberman Masonic Lodge Scholarship – deadline May 31, 2021
- Fair Lakes Scholarship – deadline June 25, 2021
- OppU Achievers Scholarship – deadline June 30, 2021
- Jack Howley Scholarship – deadline December 15, 2021
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH SITES
Students should research all Merit Scholarship opportunities that are offered by the colleges to which they plan to apply and follow the college's application timelines for these specific opportunities.
- Scholarship Sharing Database
- GoingMerry Scholarship Search
- RaiseMe | Earn money for college starting in 9th grade based on achievements in school and life.
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships
- Coalition for College Scholarships
FINANCIAL AID RESOURCES
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) information and assistance:
College Access Fairfax: www.collegeaccessfairfax.org for virtual resources or to register for workshops.
Virginia College Access Network (VirginiaCAN): https://www.virginiacan.org/fafsa
FCPS PARENT/GUARDIAN WORKSHOPS
Registration opens one month before each webinar. Sign up for the FCPS New You Choose newsletter to get an email when registration opens. Registrants will be provided a link by email on the morning of the webinar.
Questions? Reach out to Student Services.
*The information provided is for your information and review. Scholarships and enrichment programs offered by organizations other than FCPS are neither sponsored nor endorsed by FCPS, the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent or TJHSST. Students and parents should carefully review all application requirements. Parents/Guardians need to confirm the details, accuracy and relevance of any program chosen for their student. This document contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. Neither FCPS nor TJHSST controls the content or relevancy of these outside pages.
External opportunities may utilize an online technology, or video and web conferencing tool that has not been assessed or approved for use in FCPS by the FCPS Department of Information Technology. Students should gain permission from their parent/guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity. Families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for any technology platform used to facilitate these opportunities.