College and Career Center Newsletter
Spring Edition 2021
Welcome Spring and Spring Break!
We're coming to the end of the third quarter and the beginning of our well deserved Spring Break!
There will be many great opportunities to connect with college events and career fairs after the break that are listed below. We hope you will take the next week to relax, recharge, and do things you enjoy.
We've had to bend, pivot, flex, adapt, and learn to new realities this year. We are here to support our students and look forward to a strong fourth quarter with a lot of sun!
Introducing The Virtual Career Exploration Fair
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) and Arlington Public Schools (APS) are teaming up to host a Virtual Career Exploration Fair on Monday, April 19, 2021 - Friday, April 30, 2021. High school students will be able to connect with over 100 local industry professionals from in-demand career fields. Additionally, students can attend college and career ready workshops and information sessions.
High school students can take part in the following ways:
- Learn about work-based learning (WBL) opportunities.
- Attend industry panel discussions.
- Take part in mock interviews.
- Attend resume workshops.
- Learn about postsecondary education, training, and apprenticeship opportunities.
Register for the Virtual Career Exploration Fair now!
* Please note: CVENT requires users accessing its platform to be age 16 or older. Parents of students in FCPS who are under 16 who are interested in participating in these events can email Matt Bechtel for more information about registration.
A CrowdCompass login will be created using the information you provide in the registration form above. You will receive your login as an email to the personal email account you included. Please check your personal email account (including the Spam or Junk folder) for your login.
The FCPS curated list can be found in Naviance Student. Step-by-step directions for finding enrichment opportunities in Naviance Student.
Virginia Tech Virtual Spring Break 2021 Various information sessions for all grades from March 29 through April 8. Register here.
Northern Virginia Regional Live Virtual College Fair | Thursday, April 8, 2021 | 6-8pm, ET
Register and see the list of participating institutions here: NVRCF
- Anti-Wisteria Expedition – event date April 5, 2021 from 1pm to 4pm
- Allegany College of Maryland Open House – deadline April 9, 2021 – event date April 10, 2021 from 9am to 12pm
- U.S. Air Force ROTC High School Scholarship Program Presentation - April 12, 2021 from 1pm to 2pm
- Harvard International Relations Scholars – event date June 17 – 19, 2021
- Cinematic Arts Summer Program – event date June 28 – Aug. 6, 2021
- Law-Related Education – event date June and July 2021
- Mason Game and Technology Academy (MGTA) Summer Classes – event date June – Aug. 2021
- The Joy of Coding – deadline April 15, 2021 – event date July 5 – Aug. 13, 2021
- One Lab Summer Studio – deadline May 1, 2021 – event date June – Aug. 2021
The FCPS curated list can be found in Naviance Student. Below are some recent updates:
- Seabee Memorial Scholarships – deadline April 15, 2021
- E-Waste Scholarship – deadline April 30, 2021
- Mary Lee Peterson Arts Scholarship Program – deadline June 15, 2021
- Digital Privacy Scholarship – deadline June 30, 2021
- Don’t Text and Drive Scholarship – deadline September. 30, 2021
- Technology Addiction Awareness Scholarship – deadline January 30, 2022
FCPS STUDENT GOOGLE SITES (Google Workspace student login required)
📌Service Learning and x2VOL information
📌Work Based Learning and Career Exploration
📌Class of 2022 Post Secondary Planning
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH SITES
Students should research all Merit Scholarship opportunities that are offered by the colleges to which they plan to apply and follow the college's application timelines for these specific opportunities.
- Scholarship Sharing Database
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships
- GoingMerry Scholarship Search
- RaiseMe | Earn money for college starting in 9th grade based on achievements in school and life.
FINANCIAL AID RESOURCES
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) information and assistance:
College Access Fairfax: www.collegeaccessfairfax.org for virtual resources or to register for workshops.
Virginia College Access Network (VirginiaCAN): https://www.virginiacan.org/fafsa
Skill, Not Will: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach Webinar for Families
Join us for the important session to learn some key strategies from the Collaborative Problem Solving® approach to manage challenging behavior.
Friday April 9, 2021 | 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Register for Skill, Not Will: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach Webinar for Families
Questions? Reach out to Student Services.
*The information provided is for your information and review. Scholarships and enrichment programs offered by organizations other than FCPS are neither sponsored nor endorsed by FCPS, the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent or TJHSST. Students and parents should carefully review all application requirements. Parents/Guardians need to confirm the details, accuracy and relevance of any program chosen for their student. This document contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. Neither FCPS nor TJHSST controls the content or relevancy of these outside pages.
External opportunities may utilize an online technology, or video and web conferencing tool that has not been assessed or approved for use in FCPS by the FCPS Department of Information Technology. Students should gain permission from their parent/guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity. Families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for any technology platform used to facilitate these opportunities.