Scholarships and Financial Aid
General scholarships with upcoming deadlines can be found in Family Connection, under the Colleges tab. Scroll down to the Scholarships & Money section and click on Scholarship List.
Many colleges award merit aid based on academic performance and extracurricular activities, among other things. Some even provide full tuition, room and board, and other expenses. For a list of colleges providing great merit aid, go to your Family Connection account, open the Document Library, and then click on College and Career Center.
If a TJHSST nomination is required for a scholarship, there is a selection process at TJHSST. You are required to submit a nomination application to the Career Center Specialist. Your application will be reviewed by a faculty selection committee. Please see the Scholarship List in Family Connection for instructions on applying for specific scholarships and scholarship nominations. The Scholarship List is on the Colleges page, under Scholarships and Money. Please see the Career Center Specialist if you have further questions.
Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA)
- FAFSA On The Web - site for filing FAFSA online
- CSS/Financial Aid Profile - aid application required in addition to FAFSA by many private colleges/universities
- Federal Student Aid - An overview of types of Federal aid and loans
- College Cost Comparison - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau cost comparison worksheet
- Mapping Your Future Careers, Colleges and Finances - In depth information on Careers and Finances
- Student Debt Calculator - Debt calculators and information useful for aid comparisons
- State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) - financial and state specific information
- FinAid Page - financial aid information, includes links to numerous "scam free" sites
- Scholarship Scams - current information on scholarship scams
- Don't Get Scammed on Your Way to College - Federal Trade Commission site that lists ways to detect scholarship scams
- Finance Your Education - includes needs analysis, methods of finance, money management
- College Parents of America - financial aid information
- Establish Virginia Domicile - how to qualify for in-state tuition in Virginia
- Nellie Mae - student loan information, includes hints on preparing to pay for college
- Sallie Mae - information on the entire Financial Aid process
- College Savings Plan Network - state-sponsored savings programs including Virginia's