The Suite Life
Welcome to Issue #4 of our Virtual Suite Newsletter
Weekly Focus: Sleep is Important!
One of the TJHSST Challenge Success focus areas is centered around promoting the importance of sleep. Counselor Susan Martinez has explored this topic with regard to this period of school closure and the change in schedules that our students and families are experiencing as activities are cancelled and we are spending more time at home.
Some of the tips she found to improve the quality of sleep are listed below and you can read her entire message here: Adjusting Sleep Schedules
- Go to bed the same time each evening.
- Get some sun before noon.
- Avoid caffeine after noon.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Avoid sugar, too many simple carbohydrates and too much protein.
- Eliminate naps.
- Finish eating 3 hours before going to bed.
- Discontinue use of electronics preferably one hour before going to bed.
- Keep your bedroom temperature cool
- Try a sleep mask to block out ambient light.
What's making life sweet this week in Student Services?
Ms. McAleer: This yummy recipe! It's a grilled cheese and pizza in ONE. As Mr. Rose would say, “What could be better?”
Dr. Barkat and Ms. Smith: Volunteering and helping to fulfill the needs of the Navajo Nation community through acts of kindness. Contact either one of them to see how you can help donate masks and other supplies.
Ms. Wolf: Getting ready for the Class of 2020 to graduate! We are proud of you!
All Grades Info
Naviance Student college search has now been updated with links to Virtual Tours to many colleges. Each week, visit a virtual tour/admissions session of a college in which you are interested and then choose a college to virtual tour that you may not know at all. Record what you like, what you find interesting but also record what you don't like to help determine what you are looking for in a college with regard to size, academics, clubs, etc. This is how you begin to craft a list for college that reflects your interests and your FIT-- Academic, Social/Emotional and Financial.
Upcoming College Fairs and Informationa
1. Coalition for College Virtual College Fair | May 28, 2020 | Register here.
2. Cialfo Webinars and the May 29/30 Online University Fair
- 200+ colleges. Talk and connect with College Reps!
- Keynote and Forum Sessions with Common App, College Board, NACAC, and more!
Explore the Naviance Student Enrichment Lista that is updated daily by FCPS. Here are a few of the recently listed opportunities that will be conducted virtually this summer:
- Introduction to Architecture with The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture
- Summer Art Intensive with the School of Art
- Summer STEM with the Albert Nerken School of Engineering
- Summer Writing Program
11th grade info
Class of 2021 Rising Seniors Next Steps (GSuite Login required).
Thursday Night Live presentions with Admissions Deans from UCLA, Swarthmore, Tulane, Washington University St. Louis and more. Insightful talks about character and truth in college admissions for students and parents.
12th grade info
Laura Ashley Piper Scholarship | FCPS Faciliated Scholarship for FCPS 12th graders who meet the criteria. | Completed application due to FCPS Friday, June 5, 2020 | Application available in Naviance Student and the Class of 2020 Google Classroom.
The FCPS curated scholarship list can be found in Naviance Student. Other worthwhile scholarship search sites:
RaiseMe | Earn money for college starting in 9th grade based on achievements in school and life.
Parent Information | Distance Learning Support
Necessary supports for students have a safe online space in which to learn healthy, and respectful technology use at home and school
Strategies for helping families navigate the digital frontier.
Digital Citizenship and Social-Emotional Learning
- Have empathy and respect for others.
- Self Regulation: Think before posting on social media. Resist impulsive responses.
- Be responsible when making a decision to post pictures, personal information and comments on social media. Weigh your risk, guard your personal information, don’t join suspicious groups.
- Make smart choices.
Questions? Reach out to us in the Suite.
This newsletter contains links to one or more web pages that are outside the FCPS network. Neither FCPS nor TJHSST controls the content or relevancy of these outside pages.
aAdvertisement of these opportunities does not constitute sponsorship or endorsement of the sponsoring organization or the enrichment opportunity by the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent, or a specific FCPS school. Many opportunities utilize Zoom, an online technology video and web conferencing tool that has not been approved for use in FCPS by the FCPS Department of Information Technology. Numerous outside organizations are utilizing Zoom to provide services and resources to students and families during the COVID-19 pandemic. Students should gain permission from their parent or guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity and families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for Zoom before participating.