2021-2022 ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic year.
2021-22 ESSER III/School Improvement & Innovation Plan (SIIP) At A Glance
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology | Fairfax County Public Schools | Region 2
Background: The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Teach essential standards through scaffolding, differentiation, and small group instruction.
- Reteach Essential Standards through small group instruction during flexible instructional time, during or before/after the school day.
- Use evidence-based literacy resources to provide for literacy skill-building using FCPS centrally approved resources.
- Utilize PD opportunities and materials to learn strategies and collect resources to use for Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 interventions.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- Teach essential standards through scaffolding, differentiation, and small group instruction. Leverage Tier I Core reteaching resources for small group instruction.
- Small group instruction during flexible instructional time to supplement core math classes’ instruction using TJ Math Department intervention resources.
- Intensive tutoring using TJ Math Department intervention resources (during flexible instruction time and/or after school).
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Strengthen Tier 1 Evidenced- Based Strategies.
- Provide targeted Student Support at the Tier 2/3 levels.
- Provide opportunities for Family Engagement.
Background: All Fairfax County schools are also required to complete an access and opportunity goal as part of their School Innovation and Improvement Plan (SIIP) and can also capture additional goals. These are shown below.
Access & Opportunity End of Year SMARTR Outcome
By June 2022, we will increase the enrollment of our mentorship program by 65% and extend the mentorship to a full year program by Fall of 2022.
- Increase student awareness and engagement.
- Increase mentorship opportunities.
- Redesign and realign program pathways so that students understand program career connections, required courses, and program options.
Student Engagement SMARTR Outcome
By June 2022, the number of students who report being cognitively engaged in more than 4 of their classes will increase by 10% (from 62% to 72%).
- Provide personalized professional learning for staff on topics directly related to cognitive engagement.
- Focus on high quality tier 1 instruction (MTSS).
- Establish a team that focuses on innovative teaching and learning practices.