2018-19 Principal's Welcome Letter
August 13, 2018
Dear TJHSST Colonials Families:
We are pleased to extend a warm and enthusiastic welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is a premier educational setting where teachers provide students a challenging and supportive learning environment that inspires joy at the prospect of discovery. Thank you to our wonderful community for your support, patience and generous donations, all of which have contributed to our collective success.
On a personal note, I offer heartfelt thanks to the many Colonials who welcomed me to the TJ family last year. I learned how special and talented our students and staff are. Along the way I developed a deep admiration for our parents, alumni and business partners who embrace TJ’s mission, tirelessly volunteer at our school and provide immeasurable support to our students. We continue our commitment this year to find tangible ways that bring balance to student lives and respect the academic rigor TJ offers, all while being mindful of our students’ social and emotional wellness.
What follows is a list of important dates and to-do items that ensure a smooth opening. Prior to the first day of school, please visit the Opening of School announcement to get a complete overview and access to all resources.
New Student Orientation
The first step in achieving balance is feeling part of the amazing TJ Colonials Family. If your child is new to TJ, whether as a freshman or upperclassman, you are invited to attend New Student Orientation:
- When: Thursday, August 23
- Where: Gymnasium (signage will direct you for parking and entrances)
- Early Bird Special: 8:00 a.m. new student schedules will be ready for pick up, so come early!
- Program Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Back to School Nights
The next step ensuring we’re off to a healthy start is to connect parents and teachers at Back to School Nights.
- September 5: Sophomore and Junior Classes from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- September 12: Freshman and Senior Classes from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Note: Senior Information Night with our TJ Counselors will start at approximately 7:15 p.m. in the auditorium.
Back to School Bash
Another step in achieving balance is celebrating with the high-energy TJ Colonials Family. All are invited to our annual Back to School Bash sponsored by the PTSA, SGA and TJ Student Activities Office.
- When: Friday, September 14
- Where: Baseball Field
- Time: 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- What: Games, prizes, live music, food, home football game at 7:00 p.m.
Student schedules will be available in SIS StudentVue and SIS ParentVue on Thursday, August 23, at 6:00 a.m.
- Access SIS StudentVUE here using your FCPS network credentials.
- If you have not created a SIS Parent Account, click here to watch a video. Account activation information will be mailed home between August 16-18.
- If you need assistance navigating the system click here to watch a video.
Required Forms Due September 7
Thank you for completing forms in a timely manner. Students can begin turning in forms to their homeroom teacher on the first day of school. Early bird incentive: each homeroom may earn a pizza party if all forms are submitted by Friday, August 31. The required forms are linked below so you may print and complete the forms:
Please review with your child. All students will receive a hard copy as seen here .
- Residency Verification
- Honor Code Pledge
- Emergency Care Card - only required from students new to TJ. Returning families can make updates to their emergency care information through weCare@school.
- Extra-Curricular Participation Policy
- FCPS Opt-out Forms, if desired, can be found on the TJ Opening of School web page.
From Tuesday, August 21 through Thursday, August 23 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., you may pick up tags in the Nobel Commons located just inside the main entrance at the Dome. Students should bring their driver’s license and a $200 check payable to TJHSST.
Transportation information is included in the packet being mailed home the week of August 13. It includes morning pick up and afternoon drop off locations and times.
Safely Arriving at School
Doors open to our TJ students at 7:30a.m. Student drop-off is located behind the school. Parents, please drop off your child at the Kiss and Ride by coming in the school’s entrance off Braddock Road and following signs to the left.
All visitors must enter through the Dome (Door 1) and sign in at the Main Office. A camera/buzzer system at the main entrance enhances and ensures safe entry for our guests. Also, Officer Steve Richards, our School Resource Officer, will be on site regularly and his vehicle will be parked at the front of the school.
FCPS continues its online payment system called MySchoolBucks. Expenses that include fees, meals, and certain classroom costs are managed via MySchoolBucks.
Staying in Touch
TJHSST uses News You Choose for regular communication with parents and you are automatically subscribed with the email on file with TJ. You may tailor your preferences here. Emergency communications from the school and FCPS are delivered via Blackboard to your email.
On behalf of the amazing teachers, counselors, support staff and administrators, I look forward to making your child’s experience with us a rewarding and memorable one. Go Colonials!
Ann N. Bonitatibus, Ed.D.